$489 Million Proposal for RFK Stadium Campus Includes Sports and Rec Center, Fields, Food Hall
6 January 2017
A large crowd showed up the the Walter E. Washington Convention Center Thursday night to see major plans to redevelop the RFK Stadium-Armory site.
The $489.6 million proposed project includes:
* Three multi-purpose recreation and community fields,
* A "Market Hall," which would offer concessions, prepared food and groceries for both neighborhood residents and visitors
* A state-of-the-art sports and recreation complex that would house activities including indoor basketball, soccer, go karting and entertainment programming
* Three pedestrian bridges that would provide access to the east side of the Anacostia and connect the RFK campus to Kingman Island, Heritage Island and River Terrace
* A Robert F. Kennedy memorial, which would be built in the place of the existing stadium once it is demolished
Events DC, which is overseeing the plans, said those five "short-term" features can be built over the next two to five years.
One plan for the campus would incorporate a new NFL Stadium, should the Washington Redskins choose that location. The team would have to cover the cost of the new stadium.
Two alternate plans include building a 20,000 seat arena or having no major stadium or arena at the campus.
Road improvements are also included in the proposed budget for the campus.
"The long-term vision emphasizes the addition of roads that will provide a cross-grain to the current arterial roads, to make the entirety of the site, program elements and parking more accessible and traversable," Events DC said. "In addition, based on community feedback received, the amount of green space will be increased by 240% to make the site more sustainable for years to come.