1. SMG has been in the development of modern machinery for the installation of synthetic surfaces in the sports industry since 1975.How has the company evolved, according to you?
To make it short, a two-man pioneer company turned into a globally recognized company for all areas of the laying of artificial turf and athletic tracks. Today we can say that as a complete supplier we have in store all equipment, which is required from the installation and maintenance up to the reclamation ofsports grounds.
2. For the maintenance of artificial turf or carpets with granule infilling SMG has already presented the world‘s first innovations since the 80s.Tell us something about this innovative technology and how you stand apart.
Also for the care and cleaning of artificial turf with granule infilling and tracks we have more than 10 machines and devices of an unprecedented variety. They are all based on several workflows to combine in a single operation: leveling and towing of bedding material, removal of coarse and fine dirt and precisely dosed returning of the cleaned infilling material into the surface. In other words, a basic idea with variations for all applications. For our customers is also important that all of our technical solutions meet the high standards of UEFA and FIFA.
3. How can clients benefit from your expertise in building industrial floor systems?
Through a lot of experimentation, we knew very quickly that our technology is also suitable for the laying of screed demanding industrial applications. Basically, it is so that we constantly are in dialogue with the manufacturers of the materials and the manufacturing installation companies. We are beginning every development on site and also take into account the needs of users. Our customers in the sports sector benefit from the fact, that we have to follow many regulations and DIN standards in the industry, we can transfer into other applications as quality standards.
4. What major innovations have SMG brought into the industry, recently?
There are actually too many to be able to name them all here, because it also involves numerous detail improvements. I would like to single out our new self-propelled TurfMuncher TM2000D. This highly efficient machine revolutionizes the disposal and treatment of artificial turf, which was previously a rather problematic and labourconsuming exercise. This self-propelled machine is designed for the removal of artificial turf on compact rolls of 2 m width with simultaneous separation of the infill. To be mentioned is also the new product TurfScout TS1400. This ground driven, towbehind device cleans and maintains the surface of sand and rubber infilled artificial turf pitches. Due to its wheel drive the TurfScout is independent of any power or hydraulic shaft drives. In modular combination, with or without a carrier vehicle, as single or multivariant solution, the TS impresses with stunning effectiveness in regular surface maintenance.
5. How do you see the market shaping up for turf used in sporting venues?
In our opinion, there is a further expanding market, which is above-average growth in some regions of the world. This is a very meaningful development from an economic and environmental point of view. However, it is not about the quantity of displaced surfaces, but primarily to quality; because only high standards for installation and maintenance of synthetic sports surfaces ensure the future sustainability.
6. Logistics and storage of spares is what SMG is known for. How does SMG ensure quality retention and fast delivery?
We are proud that we still have on hand spare parts for machines of the early days. With the variety of products this is not a simple matter. Two conditions have created the basis for what we can offer in the future. On the one hand by our logistics department with their space capacity (which in future will still grow) and advanced picking. On the other hand, we have already trod the path from the start to be modular systems, which inevitably lead to a strong reduction of spare parts. We also now offer "Emergency Spare parts kits" even for machines of the 70ies. Only the former serial number of the machine is necessary to order them.
7. Your global presence rules out other competitors in the business. What’s next for SMG in terms of new launches or expansions, etc?
After we have committed ourselves to the permanent innovation to meet the new needs of our users, you can expected a lot in future from SMG when it comes to progress on sports field construction.
8. Can you shed light on the recent buzz that SMG’s ‘Study on the effect of maintenance operations on the properties of artificial grass pitches’ has generated? What are the conclusions of this study?
The FIFA says that the need to maintain a football turf field is fundamental for reasons of aesthetics and safety, playing performance and longevity. They give crystal clear recommendations for the cleaning, care and maintenance of artificial grass pitches. Consensus is that regular maintenance is better than more expensive single service. All machinery and equipment developed by SMG such as TCA and TS correspond exactly to the requirements from manufacturers and FIFA.
9. Digital advertising is the most sought after platform these days to promote products. How do you think digital advertising has redefined media’s capacity to promote industries?
We observe that the willingness to cooperate in the print media has become much larger and take note with satisfaction.
10. What according to you sets sports-venue technology apart from all other forms of B2B advertising space?
Sports-Venue Technology, the internet platform has demonstrated the value of long-term cooperation by generating real customer inquiries for SMG.