Kennesaw State Installs First Hybrid Grass Field in the United States
8 June 2018
When the Kennesaw State athletic teams take the field this fall at Fifth Third Bank Stadium, they will do so on the first hybrid grass field in the western hemisphere after Georgia based Precision Turf installed the PlayMaster surface by Tarkett Sport last week.
PlayMaster is a carpet-based hybrid grass technology that offers fast installation, instant playability and the same natural grass feel. The innovative technology creates a divot-free surface to allow for excellent stability to help maintain the quality and safety of the field. Precision Turf grew a plot of the reinforced natural turf at its farm in Braselton, Georgia, and installed the product last week.
"We're not just resting on the recognition the stadium has received; we're improving," said Zach Kerns, executive director of the KSU Sports Entertainment Park. "We want to be innovative at Kennesaw State and enhance the University's prominence, so we are taking the lead in implementing this state-of-the-art turf in the U.S."
• A carpet-based technology that gives horizontal reinforcement to the natural grass of a pitch.
• Patented spray coating process onto the backing leaves ample room for drainage and oxygenation, and promotes optimal root penetration.
• In-house produced synthetic fibers reinforce the subbase, providing optimal resilience and resistance
• Fibers are made of inert material and do not adversely affect natural grass
• System provides superior tuft lock, preventing fiber release under harsh conditions, such as during renovations
The new surface will play host to Atlanta United FC tonight in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup against the Charleston Battery at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. The match is set to kick off at 7:30 p.m.
Football season ticket packages are currently on sale for the 2018 season, with special rates for military and first responders program and young alumni of Kennesaw State